You know those awesome leather bracelets made from baseballs? Have you wanted one or knew a baseball fan who did? MAKE YOUR OWN (or gift one of course!) because with this DIY you get two bracelets out of one baseball.
*You will need:
-scissors (which I forgot to put in the photo)
-an xacto knife
- a baseball. I used an old baseball that has been used which may give an authentic look but I do want to try it with a brand new ball.
-red embroider floss
-some type of clasp (lobster clasps can be bought at craft stores) unless you want to just tie it to wrist and not take it off.
First with your xacto cut around the laces BUT DO NOT cut close. It also doesn't matter if it is jagged we'll fix that up later.
After you've made a cut around each side of the laces with some elbow grease pull the leather away from the ball. I found the older ball to pull away easy but its not tough either way. Once you've pulled it off the ball it'll be messy-- discard everything BUT the laces and pull the guts off the lace part.
Then you will cut around the laces with your scissors to create a nicer edge and get as close as you can WITHOUT CUTTING THE LACES.
I'll look like this :0)
I then placed mine in a bowl of water for about eh, 30 minutes so I stretch it out and get it to be straighter. This step can be skipped but it'll be tougher to take form.
after 30 (plus) minutes or so take your laces out and stretch them out so it get pretty straight.
I cut my laces into two pieces to get two bracelets out of it.
You will want to pull the lace out (tweezer work great!) to make a length that fits the wrist you are putting it on (the laces will be super long anyway!) and you'll need some lace to work with to attach to something (or knot onto your wrist directly). Cut away the leather that you have pulled the laces away from. The bottom photo shows laces pulled and cut (top end) and the bottom shows laces pulled away.
My final project I added white and red beads (phillies colors!) and then I attached a jumper ring to one end and a lobster clasp to the other so that it had a closure. You can use whatever you'd like or tie it directly to your wrist.
final product <3
I gave it to my cousin-
he was excited and couldn't wait to show his teammates!
tis' the season!
We had a great weekend here in Philly- the Phillies won friday, saturday and sunday. whoop!
Can't wait to hear about your bracelets you've made. I'd love to see what you've created- please add a link in the comments below to your photo/blog/facebook etc!
xoxo
Jenna <3






















No comments:
Post a Comment