Wednesday, April 2, 2014

DIY Crochet Hook Case





Do it yourself crochet hook case


This project can totally be transformed to make a case for knitting needles, crayons for a grab-n-go case, markers etc!

All my crochet hooks are thrown in my pencils case inside my crochet bag. I often have to dig through it to find my different sizes and its been driving me up a wall! I have been brainstorming ways to store my hooks but still keep them in my pencils case with my other supplies.  Then, BAM! got this idea and I want to share it with you.

I have to explain... I am in NO WAY a sewing connoisseur. I know how to use my sewing machine but if a seamstress inspected my pieces I'd be laughed at for sure.  So, please bare with my instructions and steps! 

Supplies:
-Fabric: to make my life easier I purchased pre cut fabric strips mainly because I loved the print and colors. (9x22 strips)
-thread
-something to tie your case: I used suede string but anything can be used.


  1. you will have 3 pieces of fabric. your pieces my vary but these were my sizes. 1- 9x22 piece for your back/outside and 1 piece slightly smaller for inside, one 4.5 by 22 piece - this is your bottom piece that your hooks tuck inside. 
    • Sew the outside edges of the back piece so that they do not fray. (slightly smaller than a 1/4 in)
    • Sew the top edge only of the pocket piece slightly smaller than 1/4 inch.
  2. pin pocket to inside fabric at left and right edges.


    • pin every inch so you have a space for the crochet needles. Then sew along those needles so you begin to make pockets for individual needles.
  3. now we are going to sew the backing to the front after we've made the pockets.  place right side of pattern on wrong side of back pattern. This is so that the pattern faces us and then the pattern of the back is facing outside :)
  4. Fold the backing edge over the front 1/4-1/2 inch and sew around.
  5. when you get to the left side of the case wait to sew and get your string. Place 1/4 inch of it in the middle between back and front and finish sewing and through the string so its stuck in the case.  The remainder of it should be hanging out so that you can wrap around.  

Once your done sewing place your hooks in and roll up the case, wrap the string around to close and you've got a handy new crochet case.




- like I said I do not know the correct terms or how to explain my sewing project but had some people inquiring how I made it! I truly hope my photos are able to help. Sometimes visually seeing things can help-ha!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...