Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Out of the Darkness...

Not only do I like to talk art, projects, recipes and so much more but I do like to use social media to talk about things that are important to me and also chat about what is happening around us in the world.

It's with great sadness to turn on the nightly news and learn about the passing of Robin Williams.  It goes to show you that depression and the inner body/mind is very difficult and tough to overcome. You never know what is going on within someones life and head.  Things do not appear as they do on the outside.  This is why you should be more respectful towards strangers whether its a pedestrian, customer, customer service rep, teacher, co-worker and the list can go on.  One word can change the pace for that person that day, it can be a little nudge that makes someone feel worthless.  Depression is an awful disease.  For some reason suicide and depression are hush-hush and arcane.  Most people don't have enough information about it.  Some are scared to talk about it.  Many are unsure where to go in the event that they need assistance or are having suicidal feelings, where does one turn for help, and what type of assistance is there (for yourself or loved one).

I've heard people call suicide selfish.  Selfish that someone would take their life and leave behind a world of questions and hurt for loved ones.  This couldn't be more incorrect.  Suicide is a result of depression which is a disease that takes over the body and mind.   Until you are affected by it it's quite easy to call names and make bold assumptions.

In 2007, my husband lost his brother to suicide.  I have never met my brother in law Eric. But from what I have heard through stories, home videos and photographs I feel as if I have.  He seems to be a unique, funny, handsome and smart young man.  Matt and I met shortly after his passing and we thank him daily because we feel that he had something to do with bringing us together.  Thank you Eric.  Matt and I will be walking with our friends Sofia and Shaun as a part of Team Sully at the Out of the Darkness community walk for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention in memory of Eric.  Please donate to to my team!!





If you or anyone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide please look to the National Suicide Prevention Hotline.  YOUR life is worth living, YOUR life is worth the fight. SAVE someone today.



RIP Robin Williams. May your light shine on through the laughter you put into our hearts.  I hope your family and friends are able to be strong during this difficult time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...