Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Apartment Living: Herb Garden




Living in an apartment has its perks and then it has it's irks. I am such so good and creative with my poetry.



But in all serious-ness being a bottom dweller (first floor apartment) we don't run the air conditioning much in the summer because it's super cool but we also don't have a lot of natural light. I'm becoming vitamin D deficient. nah, not really but sunlight is beauty.  I do envy the balconies my other fellow neighbors have. I want to sit out on a balcony and sip my coffee, put my feet up and enjoy the beauty of nature.  Since I do not have a balcony I also cannot have a cute garden and I love gardening. Fresh herbs and produce in the summer all grown by myself!! Eeeeep how couldn't you love that and feel proud of something you grew from a seed that you put on your table?!

With my bottom dwelling apartment this couldn't really happen but i figured out a way to have fresh herbs!!!!  Not only do I have some home grown herbs but the live plants in our home is great for feng shui. Check out this adorable herb garden I created for my kitchen window.  



SUPPLIES:
  • Small box to store your potted herbs
  • paint pen
  • potted herbs of your preference. [I planted basil, mint and chives]
  • terracotta pots
  • soil



I found my adorable wooden box (with a black framed front) at Michael's. It was perfect for my style and the feel of my tiny kitchen and home.  As an artist I have a ton of things lying around and used a white paint pen to label my little herb garden.

My herbs were purchased at my local home depot. I wanted grown or semi grown herbs to start using right away but allow them to continue to grow and mature.  I allowed the herb to get used to being indoors since they were outdoors when I purchased them. I left them in their container for about 4-5 days.  I then put some soil in the terracotta pots and repotted my herbs. 

My herb garden container only fit three potted herbs and I have a sweet little ceramic pot with parsley growing from seed pods.  There were a few larger metal/galvanized tubs available but not suited for our home and a bit big for my small window sill. 




So happy for our little herb garden!! Can't wait for mojitos, fresh basil/mozz/tomato salad and putting some chives in my baked potato!  

What tips do you have for apartment living? Comment and share below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...